You only have one chance at a first impression, make it great with these tips!
- Show up a little early – Don’t show up super early, but you want to show up early enough to find the office, and check in at the front desk at least 5 minutes before your interview begins.
- Dress the part – Research the company culture to determine the level of professionalism you will want to match. Some companies have a laid back culture which allow jeans, and others require a suit. I always recommend dressing up a level higher than the normal. So, if most people wear jeans to work, wear slacks, but not a suit. This shows that you are taking the interview seriously, but you are also a good fit for the laid back culture.
- Bring what you need – Make sure to bring extra copies of your resume, a portfolio, and a notebook to take notes. Do not put your cellphone on the table, don’t bring your laptop unless necessary, and don’t bring coffee or a snack. You want to appear prepared; you should have already enjoyed your cup of coffee prior to showing up.
- Smile at everyone – Make sure you smile at the people you walk by on your way through the office. Smile at the receptionist, and of course smile during your interview. You want to appear as easy to get along with and as happy as possible!
- Make a connection – Try to find some kind of commonality or something to help the interviewer remember you by. You want to try to form a personal connection, so that you leave with a great first impression.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Page load link